Friday, October 2, 2009

Don't judge a book by its bureaucratically dysfunctional cover

If you are the parent of an autistic child in NJ, the good news is that the state has implemented a preschool program specifically for autistic children. The bad news is that it's implemented by the state.

It took 4 months before we finally had a meeting with the child study team. There were about 10 people in attendance (who are these people?) and at times I practically had to stand on the table in order to get a question answered. They didn't even let us see the classroom. I was hopeful when the director said "We want to get him in here as soon as possible"- but as soon as possible in state-speak turns out to mean 6 weeks. I walked out of there with serious bad-bellies. Is my son going to be preschooled at the DMV?

A week later we had the classroom visit.

We sat in the corner and watched these little miracle kids singing and talking about the weather, and it just made me well up with emotion. The classroom setup was great- 3 teachers and 3 kids (EJ would be number 4). The teachers seemed super nice and eager to help the kids to grow, not simply function. The teachers gave us tons of info on how they derive their curriculum and I feel confident that they would tailor Elijah's days to what would be best for him. I left feeling lifted and positive, and really looking forward to when EJ can finally start.

I love pleasant surprises :)

No comments:

Post a Comment